Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Quesadilla Make-over

This recipe looked great to try as is, and I've listed the original recipe, but I did a few things different and saved some time. Instead of frying a tortilla and making it into a quesadilla I first broiled a pita circle (not the kind with a pocket in the middle) until it was well toasted on one side. Then instead of slices of Brie I bought a Brie spread (it had less calories and no rind to mess with). I spread the cheese on the non-toasted side and then topped it with the peach mixture and broiled it for about 3 minutes. I cut it like a pizza and then drizzled the dipping sauce over each serving after it was plated. These little "pizzettes" were super fresh --thanks in part to my neighbors for having chives that grow into my yard. They have a sweetness from the peaches and honey, with hints of the rich Brie and the substance of the bread. While this is a great appetizer, I served it to Kyle and Sabrina as an accompaniment to a soup I'll be blogging soon.

Peach and Brie Quesadillas with Lime-Honey Dipping Sauce















Sauce:
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind Quesadillas:

1 cup thinly sliced peeled firm ripe peaches (about 2 large)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 teaspoon brown sugar
3 ounces Brie cheese, thinly sliced
4 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
Cooking spray
Chive strips (optional)

1. To prepare sauce, combine first 3 ingredients, stirring with a whisk; set aside.

2. To prepare quesadillas, combine peaches, 1 tablespoon chives, and sugar, tossing gently to coat. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Arrange one-fourth of cheese and one-fourth of peach mixture over half of each tortilla; fold tortillas in half. Coat pan with cooking spray. Place 2 quesadillas in pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until tortillas are lightly browned and crisp. Remove from pan; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into 3 wedges; serve with sauce. Garnish with chive strips, if desired.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 quesadilla wedges and about 1 teaspoon sauce)
CALORIES 157; FAT 4g; PROTEIN 5.3g; FIBER 0.7g