Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Poultry Loaf!

Kelly...meatloaf? I know! I haven't liked meatloaf...well... since maybe never! Two things sold me on trying this recipe. First, it is not made with ground beef, something I don't cook with or enjoy eating much. (Call me picky or crazy or whatever but it's the truth!) Plus, with ground turkey available, why change now?) Secondly, they are made in muffin tins--so they have a cuteness factor! I'm like a kid being bribed to try something sometimes. My husband was in heaven, saying , "Thank God for Jennie-O!"--our hometown industry! The salad was a nice pairing with it also, rich flavors! I have been ordered to make this again! Enjoy!














Warm Cabbage Salad With Bacon and Blue Cheese

3 slices bacon, crumbled (I used turkey bacon)
1 tablespoon peeled chopped shallots (1 small)
2 cups apple cider
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup Roquefort cheese or other blue cheese, crumbled
8 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 diced red bell pepper

1. Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium-heat; until crisp.
2. Remove bacon from pan; reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in pan. Crumble bacon; set aside.
3. Heat bacon drippings over medium-high heat. Add shallot and saute 1 minute.
Remove from heat.
4. Bring apple cider to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook until reduced to 1/4 cup(about 15 minutes). Add shallot mixture, salt and pepper.
5. Place cider vinegar mixture and cheese in a blender or small food processor; process until smooth.
6. Combine cabbage and bell pepper in a large bowl, drizzle cider mixture over cabbage mixture, tossing well to coat.
7. Top with crumbled bacon and serve immediately.
(6 servings)

Calories 78
Total Fat 5.3g
Dietary Fiber 2.4g


Turkey Mini Meat Loaves

I added about 3/4 c. of mushrooms when I sauteed the onions--next time I would also add chopped green pepper. To give it more of a kick, I added about 5 times the amount of tobasco it call for! The recipe notes--feed six by doubling the ingredients and shaping the mixture into one eight by four-inch loaf. Bake time may increase to about 45 to 50 minutes; use a thermometer to check for an internal temperature of 165°.

Ingredients
Cooking spray
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces ground turkey breast
1 large egg white
3 tablespoons ketchup, divided
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)


Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°.
Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat; cool slightly.

Combine onion, breadcrumbs, and next 7 ingredients (through egg white) in a large bowl. Stir in 2 tablespoons ketchup. Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture into each of 3 muffin cups coated with cooking spray; place muffin tin on a baking sheet. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon ketchup and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl. Brush ketchup mixture over meat loaf tops. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a thermometer registers 165°.

Yield
3 servings (serving size: 1 loaf)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 142(10% from fat); FAT 1.5g (sat 0.4g,mono 0.1g,poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 20.2g; CHOLESTEROL 30mg; CALCIUM 28mg; SODIUM 508mg; FIBER 0.8g; IRON 1.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 12g