Thursday, September 13, 2007

And now, a reading from the Soup Bible

The Soup Bible is a recipe book on my counter, waiting for me to open it and receive it's blessings. This week I landed on pg. 150 and noticed I had all the ingredients to make this soup, except for the fats, of which there are small amounts so I thought, why not? I expected it to be a bit sweeter and thinner, but it had some "ummff" to it, if that makes sense. The bite of the horseradish is what made it so good. I LOVE horseradish! This horseradish "cream" is actually just a whipped spoonful on top before serving, so it keeps the recipe healthy at only 118 calories. I thought it was fun making artistic designs with my spoon, swirling the white melting cream into the contrast of the orange soup. This concludes today's reading. Amen.

Squash Soup with Horseradish Cream














Ingredients:

1 butternut squash
1 apple
2 T butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1-2 teaspoon curry powder, plus extra to garnish
3 and 3/4 c. vegetable stock
1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
2/3 c. apple juice
salt and ground black pepper
lime rind, shredded to garnish (optional)

For the horseradish cream:

4 tablespoons heavy cream
2 teaspoons horseradish sauce
1/2 teaspoon curry powder

1. Peel the squash, remove the seeds and chop the flesh. Peel, core and chop the apple.
2. Heat the butter in a large pan. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 mn. until soft. Stir in curry powder. Cook to bring out the flavor, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
3. Add the stock, squash, apple, and sage. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 20 mn., until the squash and apple are soft.
4. Meanwhile, make the horseradish cream. Whip the cream in a bowl until stiff, then stir in the horseradish sauce and curry powder. Cover and chill in the fridge until needed.
5. Puree the soup in food processor. Return to the clean pan and add the apple juice. Season to taste. Reheat gently, without boiling.
6. Serve the soup in bowls, topped with a spoonful of horseradish cream and a dusting of curry powder. Garnish with a shredded lime rind, if you like.

Yields 6 servings (or 4 dinner size portions)
Nutrition: 118 calories, 9g fat, 2g fiber