I haven't been up for cooking much lately as my ankle is not doing well. I've had some amazing meals at restaurants that I'll have to share with you soon. Tonight I hope that will continue as we celebrate my 30th at Azia in Minneapolis with some close friends and family. Crazy that I'm 30--I think I'll always feel 25! Unlike most people, I've waited for this birthday of mine for so long, as now we are officially eligible to adopt from China.
OK back to the food...for now, here is a very colorful and healthy vegetable side dish that I made last weekend. I opted to steam the broccoli briefly instead of boil it. It has a crunch and a sweetness to it that I love and it is very quick to put together just before a meal is served.
Broccoli and Pan-Roasted Peppers
Ingredients
4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 3/4 cups (1-inch) red bell pepper strips (2 medium)
1 3/4 cups (1-inch) yellow bell pepper strips (2 medium)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preparation
Cook broccoli in boiling water 4 minutes or until crisp-tender, and drain. Rinse with cold water; drain.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and red wine vinegar. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook 15 minutes or until peppers are tender, stirring frequently. Uncover; sprinkle with sugar. Increase heat to medium-high; cook 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates and bell peppers begin to brown, stirring constantly. Add broccoli; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, tossing to combine. Remove from heat, and stir in salt and black pepper.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
Nutritional Information
CALORIES 65; FAT 2.8g; PROTEIN 2.5g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 31mg; SODIUM 311mg; FIBER 1.4g; IRON 1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 9.
