I just subscribed to Eating Well magazine, after my mom sent me some amazing recipe ideas from their website. She really has her pulse on what my tastes are--I guess that's what moms are for! I had no idea how much I would gush over the pages once it arrived in my mailbox! There are a few characteristics that I am gleaming over. First, the magazine opens with a list of all the recipes in the issue in one neat table, organized by type of food, and listing all the nutritionals. I can look at the highest fiber recipes right then and there! Second, this table also lists calories and there is not a recipe over 399 calories, something Cooking Light publishes all the time and still calls it light, but I forgive them because they make it up elsewhere. I'm just not interested in eating a serving of one dish that has that many calories. That's why I don't like most other food magazines--they don't jive with my personal mission. Third, I love that the advertising is far less than expected. Fourth, I want to make everything in it! Maybe it is a fifth good thing that the magazine is bi-monthly so that gives me some time. Here is my first recipe I tried from the magazine. A soup with a list of ingredients I love. This really did take 20 minutes to make. High fiber and high flavor--what else can a girl looking to eat well ask for? I added extra curry red curry paste and a spoonful of garlic chili paste.
Ingredients:
1 10-ounce package frozen pureed winter squash
1/2 cup "lite" coconut milk (see Tips for Two)
1/2 cup water
8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
1 6-ounce bag baby spinach
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2-1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste (see Note)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Heat squash, coconut milk and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash defrosts, about 10 minutes. Add chicken, reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Stir in spinach, lime juice, sugar, curry paste to taste and salt and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes longer.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 274 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrate; 27 g protein; 8 g fiber; 521 mg sodium; 1,288 mg potassium.
Makes 2 servings, 1 3/4 cups each
Ingredient Note:
Red curry paste is a blend of chile peppers, garlic, lemongrass and galanga (a root with a flavor similar to ginger). Look for it in jars or cans in the Asian section of the supermarket or specialty stores.
