Without the kind of husband I have, my plans for today would have been drastically different. About 3 weeks ago, I invited 2 families over for lunch after church today, thinking I would be zooming around the house by now. Enter Kyle. He cleaned the house up and down, went grocery shopping, and helped me prepare all the food the day before. Then after the company left, I said I would help clean up and he said, "No thanks. I'm really better at this." The funny thing is, he meant it--not that I mind! So thanks for letting me brag about my awesome help!
My lunch menu ended up to be a good choice given the dreary day; corn muffins, chili, salad, and dump cake for dessert. All the recipes will no doubt be blogged this week. Let's start with the chili. This recipe is a morphed version my aunt Bridget's. I think it was even published in the Lund's magazine at one time. I didn't have it written down anywhere until now, so now when I get asked for the recipe I know where to direct people! I think because this is a Bridget/Kelly chili I'll give it my maiden name. Thanks again to the Taylors and Utechts for your wonderful company--it has been a joy to meet each of you.
Gleeson Chili
Ingredients:
1 pkg. stew beef--cut beef pieces into even smaller pieces
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic- minced or crushed
2 cans dark red kidney beans--do not drain
2 cans petite diced tomatoes (or 1 large)
2 cans tomato sauce (or 1 large)
3 zucchini--cut lengthwise twice, so as to slice into fourths
3 jalapeno peppers--finely chopped
1 green pepper--chopped
1 tsp. oregano
1 pkg. Ortega taco seasoning
chili powder --amount depends on your taste
Directions:
1. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, and garlic until beef is done. Drain fat.
2. Meanwhile, in a large stock pot, add all remaining ingredients and begin to cook on medium high heat, stirring occasionally.
3. When beef is done, add to stock pot and continue to heat on medium. After 10 minutes, reduce to simmer and stir occasionally over the next 2 hours.
One pot serves 6-8, I usually make 2 pots to guarantee leftovers!
Sunday, October 14, 2007
He cooks, he cleans, and then he eats chili!
Labels: main dish
