Tuesday, October 9, 2007

From Dragon Country

I found this recipe that jazzes up regular turkey burgers in a spring issue of Mpls.St.Paul magazine. The recipe is originally from the Birdwing Spa in Litchfield, MN--which sounds like quite the snazzy place, judging from their website at least (www.birdwingspa.com). Litchfield was a high school sports rivalry when Kyle and I were growing up--we were the Cardinals (or the fight'n Cards as Kyle affectionately calls them) and they were the Dragons. OK, enough nostalgia. I added 2 things to the meat mix--a tablespoon of chili paste and some chopped mushrooms, and then added sharp cheddar when they were finished. I really like how these tasted ( a thousand times better than the pre-made patties), but not how poorly they held together, flipping them was indeed a challenge. I would add a little egg substitute next time I think. This recipe definitely does serve 6--we will be eating these for a couple days!

Birdwing Spa's Turkey Burger












Ingredients:
1 lb. ground turkey
1/4 c. dry breadcrumbs
1/3 c. onion, finely chopped
2 T. ketchup
1 T. lemon juice
11/2 t. Worcestershire sauce
11/2 t. light soy sauce
1/2 t. paprika
1/2 t. Tabasco
Pepper to taste
6 whole-wheat buns
6 lettuce leaves
6 tomato slices
6 rings of onion, if desired

Combine turkey and next 9 ingredients. Shape into 6 patties. Broil burgers until done, about 5 minutes on each side. Serve on whole-wheat buns with lettuce, tomato, and a ring of onion.

Makes 6 servings.
268 calories, 8 g. fat, 1 g. saturated fat, 28 g. carbohydrates, 1 g. fiber, 20 g. protein.

Author: Birdwing Spa Cookbook