Saturday, October 27, 2007

Break out the "Vlach-pot"

Vlach-pot = crock-pot in our house, you follow? Anything that rhymes with Vlach is always substituted with Vlach in our family's lingo. Such as the address to this blog--why write "rock my taste buds off" when I would really say "vlach my taste buds off"? We don't rent movies at Blockbuster, we rent movies at Vlachbuster.
Well our Vlach-pot has only been used for Kyle to make his black beans about once every two months. I came across a weight watchers recipe that called for a slow cooker--I knew this was my inaugural dish. Kyle told me that it was very hearty and comforting, "perfect for deer hunting," --he likes a good stew on that weekend in November. He was also thrilled it's so healthy, as we are both being very diligent about eating well. After two days of leftovers he told me to put this recipe into the "for sure make again" file. Can do!
Yes the food was good, great combo of curry and ginger, but I was let down with the process. So you cut everything up, saute a few things, and pop it in the pot. That's it? Yes, unfortunately, that's it! While most people probably love these fix it and forget it deals--I DON'T! I don't want to forget it. I was looking at the clock constantly, and wanting to stir it, or just DO something! I guess I have learned that I am not a passive cook. I'm sure one day off in the future, when I have a little tike running around the house, I will reconsider.

Slow-Cook Turkey Vegetable Soup (more of stew if you ask me!)


















2 and 1/2 pounds of bone-in turkey thighs, skin removed
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 large red onions, thinly sliced
6 thin slices fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 and 1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp allspice
1 cup chicken broth (low-sodium)
4 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1.5 inch pieces
2 TBS cornmeal
Half head of small Savoy or green cabbage, thinly sliced

Skin the turkey, remove the bones, and cut into small pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spray a nonstick skillet and cook the turkey in batches on medium-high until browned, about six minutes. Place the browned turkey in slow cooker.

Add red onions to skillet, reduce heat and cook until browned, about 8 minutes. add ginger, garlic, curry powder and allspice and cook for 30 seconds or so, until fragrant. Stir in the broth and bring to a boil, scraping up any bits that stick to the pan.

Add onion mixture to the slow cooker, then the carrots, then the sweet potatoes. Cover and cook until fork-tender, 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours low.

About half an hour before cooking time is up, gently stir the cornmeal and sprinkle the cabbage on top. Cover and cook on high until the stew thickens and cabbage is tender, about half an hour. Remove the ginger before serving.

Per 1-2/3 cup serving: 290 cals, 4 g fat, 624 mg sodium, 37 g carb, 7 g fiber, 27 g protein, 108 mg calcium, 5 WW points.

WW Magazine Jan/Feb 2007