Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Kowalski's comes through...everytime!

I went to my favorite grocery store today, the Kowalski's in Woodbury. Not only is the store huge--the catfish fillets and plums were large and in charge too! I baked the fillets, served them over baby greens and red onion, barely spritzed with Wishbone Spritzers Balsamic Dressing (If you are still pouring dressing out of a bottle give these a try!). Then I cut the plums in half and grilled them for about 3 minutes on each side. I finished them off with a drizzling of full strength balsamic and goat cheese. They were magnificent!












Pecan Crusted Catfish

This is a recipe I altered to fit my tastes and it serves 3 so adjust as needed.

INGREDIENTS:
3 catfish fillets
1/3 cup pecan halves, toasted*
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
2 catfish fillets
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup egg substitute
1/4 cup flour

PREPARATION:
Place the cooled toasted pecans in a food processor; process until they resemble coarse meal. Rinse the catfish fillets with cold water; pat dry. In a shallow bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs.

In a separate shallow bowl or pie plate, stir together the flour, cornmeal, ground pecans, salt, and pepper. Dip each fillet into the milk mixture, then into the cornmeal mixture, coating the fillets well. Set aside on waxed paper until ready to cook. Place on a greased pan and bake at 350° until browned and fish flakes easily with a fork, about 20 minutes.

*To toast nuts, spread out in an ungreased skillet over medium heat, stirring, until golden brown and aromatic.