Thursday, August 16, 2007

Cheese, crackers, & pineapple? Who knew?


I made this recipe in an 8x8 pan after realizing my 11x7's I left at school for the summer. It was yummy--very sweet! It could easily be a dessert--maybe over ice cream! I served it with Morningstar Farms Veggie Mushroom burgers topped with mushrooms and sharp cheddar. I would definitely make this again! Very quick and easy to put together with only 10 mn. in the oven.

Curried Baked Pineapple

2 (20oz.) cans pineapple chunks in juices, drained
15 reduced-fat round buttery crackers (such as Ritz), crushed
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup (1 oz)shredded reduced fat sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp. curry powder
Fat-free butter spray (such as I Can't Believe It's Not Butter--the official butter at the Vlach house)

1. Preheat oven to 450.
2. Place Pineapple in an ungreased 11x7 inch baking dish. Combine cracker crumbs and next 3 ingredients, stirring well.
3. Sprinkle cracker mixture over pineapple. Coat cracker mixture with butter spray (about 5 sprays).
4. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

Yield: 8 servings (1/2 cup each)
Nutrition Information Per Serving:calories 119, fat 1.8g, fiber 1.2g