We had our nephews stay over last night and I decided to pop some pop corn for them as they watched Transformers with Kyle. I took out my air popper, yes, I do it up '80's style! I've never been a fan of microwave popcorn. I think because my dad and step-mom would always make it on the stove top when I was little. They never switched over, so neither did my taste buds. At one of my bridal showers, Shelly Cesar gave me an air popper I had registered for and it is seriously one of my favorite gifts EVER! When I saw Shelly at her sister Heather's wedding a few years ago I told her that I think of her every time I pop my pop corn and she looked at me with the most puzzled look! I suppose people don't really say that to her every day so I understood and explained myself. Well, it seems, my nephews have never seen an air popper in action. Imagine the fascination! They were like kids watching a science experiment, and anything that makes something "blow up" gets extra props with these boys! I was in the bedroom reading while they watched the movie (while I know Josh Duhmel is in it, I heard it's a small part, and I just can't handle those action movies) and about every 15 minutes I'd hear Benjamin (4) say, "Kyle, Kelly would be SO scared right now if she was watching this!" Too cute!
I made us brunch this morning with my sister-in law and cousin coming over too. I emailed Sabrina about 4 recipes to pick and this is what she chose. Great choice in my book! I made it the night before so when I woke up I just popped it in the oven for 50 mn. I liked the texture the bread gave this, much more than a regular egg bake, and the hints of the lemon zest were a bonus. We also had lemon poppy seed muffins (my fave!) and honeybell sections. Honeybells are a fruit my mother-in-law sent us a giant box of this week. They are only available in January and are a cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit. Super juicy and delicious!
Asparagus and Prosciutto Strata
photo by Leigh Beisch in Sunset Magazine
Ingredients
1 pound asparagus, tough stem ends snapped off, cut into 2-inch lengths
1 loaf (3/4 lb.) crusty, artisan-style bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
1 1/4 cups shredded Parmesan or asiago cheese (about 5 oz.)
1/2 cup chopped chives
6 large eggs
3 1/2 cups milk
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium pan over high heat, bring about 2 quarts water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook until bright green and barely tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
2. Spread half the bread cubes in a lightly oiled 9- by 13-inch baking pan. Top with half the prosciutto, cooked asparagus, cheese, and chives. Layer remaining bread cubes on top, followed by remaining prosciutto, asparagus, cheese, and chives.
3. In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, lemon peel, salt, and pepper to blend. Pour evenly over layered ingredients. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
4. Bake until center of strata is set and top is lightly browned, 40 to 50 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
Nutritional Information
CALORIES 332; FAT 19g; PROTEIN 23g; CHOLESTEROL 197mg; SODIUM 915mg; FIBER 1.6g; CARBOHYDRATE 28g
Sunset, APRIL 2006
