Fire in the hole! I guess I should have known when I put the two cans of undrained green chilies in this recipe it would be hot...but I didn't. I had no idea the party that was in store for us! Lime wedges required! The dinner table scene goes something like this. Kyle getting hiccups after one bite--his typical response to hot food. Then he took one of his shirts off. My nose started running. He grabs the gallon of milk because the black cherry Diet Rite won't do. I even have a glass and I am not a milk drinker. Then we both finish our first serving and load up on seconds. I love these kind of meals! Looking forward to the leftovers packing another punch tomorrow.
Shrimp Enchiladas Verde
Makes 8 servings
ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes
EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy
INGREDIENTS
1 pound peeled cooked shrimp (21-25 per pound; thawed if frozen), tails removed, diced
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
2 4-ounce cans chopped green chiles (not drained)
2 cups canned green enchilada sauce or green salsa, divided
12 corn tortillas
1 15-ounce can nonfat refried beans
1 cup reduced-fat shredded cheese, such as Mexican-style, Monterey Jack or Cheddar
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 lime, cut into wedges
1. Preheat oven to 425 degree F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Combine shrimp, corn, chiles and 1/2 cup enchilada sauce (or salsa) in a microwave-safe medium bowl. Cover and microwave on High until heated through, 2 1/2 minutes.
3. Spread 1/4 cup enchilada sauce (or salsa) in the prepared baking dish. Top with an overlapping layer of 6 tortillas. Spread refried beans evenly over the tortillas. Top the beans with the shrimp mixture, followed by the remaining 6 tortillas. Pour the remaining sauce (or salsa) over the tortillas. Cover with foil.
4. Bake the enchiladas until they begin to bubble on the sides, about 20 minutes. Remove the foil; sprinkle cheese on top. Continue baking until heated through and the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes more. Top with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 320 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 136 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrate; 26 g protein; 7 g fiber; 538 mg sodium.
Nutrition bonus: Fiber (28% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (20% dv).
MAKE AHEAD TIP: Prepare through Step 3, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Allow the cold baking dish to warm slightly before placing in a hot oven.
EatingWell, June/July 2005
