
Here is the dessert I made for my dinner party--Lemon Vanilla Panna Cotta with Raspberry Sauce. I found this recipe in this month's edition of Cooking Light, right about the same time I found a large box of molds at school that I wanted to use in the near future, without making the dreaded Jell-o of course! So these two ideas merged and before I knew it I was buying a packet of gelatin (completely different from Jell-o, that clear fake fruit flavored mystery wobble). Panna cotta means cooked cream in Italian, while this recipe called for 1% milk instead, making it only 98 calories per serving. If you Google "panna cotta" you will find many recipes for this, with more flavors than you can imagine.
My first doubt about this turning out was that it only made 7--4oz. molds full, rather than the 8--6oz. molds it promised. So I had to skimp from each to make the 8th, leaving them semi-shallow. It called for one lemon rind sliver to flavor it but I was doubtful that only one would do the trick so I opted for 2. So they sat in the fridge overnight and I got to thinking, "This isn't much of a dessert!" They needed something extra. So I went to Byerly's in search of some type of round wafer cookie to put on the bottom before I flipped them onto plates. I struck gold--as usual at that store (unless you try working in the deli, but that's another story!). I bought a pkg. of 8 (the perfect amount!) caramel wafer cookies that matched the circumference of the panna cotta exactly!
I loved the presentation of the dessert--they weren't a literal flop like I feared. The molds indeed worked! I also loved the sauce and the cookie on the bottom (a life saver) but I could not taste the lemon for the life of me! My honest cousin admitted the same. Cooking Light let me down (I'll skip including the recipe--you'll have better luck elsewhere!), but my dinner guests seemed to enjoy it! I think when I cook the food and know all the details and have all the exact expectations I can get hung up on that. I just have to let go and enjoy!
Thursday, November 15, 2007
Panna Cotta Panic
Labels: dessert
