Sunday we had our pastor and her husband over for lunch, along with a great family of four that we go to church with at First Covenant. I guess I wasn't thinking about cooking for 8 the Sunday after Thanksgiving, but I did enjoy it! They were wonderful company (loved discussing Lars and the Real Girl with Anne who has seen it twice!) and along for the adventure of eating my lasagna that hadn't "set" enough yet (add more time!). I found this recipe about 3 years ago in a magazine, it was a contest winner I remember. I've made it 3 times now and it is good...not good for you per se, but what the heck, it was Thanksgiving weekend! I would really recommend it the next time you have to feed a crowd but want something different, yet easy.
Now back to my dinner of cauliflower and spicy pickles--it is DETOX week!
Ham and Cheese Lasagna
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
4 stalks celery, thinly sliced (2 cups)
4 carrots, chopped (2 cups)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups sliced crimini mushrooms or other
small brown mushrooms (8 oz.)
2 cups cubed cooked ham
2 cups whipping cream
1 14 1/2-oz. undrained can diced tomatoes
with basil, garlic, and oregano
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup dry red wine
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese (6 oz.)
12 no-boil lasagna noodles (7 to 8 oz.)
1. Preheat oven to 350[degrees]F. For sauce, in a 12-inch skillet or Dutch oven cook and stir onion, celery, carrots, and garlic, in hot oil over medium heat for 10 minutes until vegetables are just tender. Add mushrooms and ham. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cream, undrained tomatoes, water, and wine. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper.
2. In a bowl combine cheeses. Spoon 1 1/2 cups of the sauce in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Sprinkle with 2/3 cup of the cheese mixture. Top with 4 lasagna noodles, overlapping as needed. Repeat twice. Spoon on remaining sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture. Cover tightly with foil. Bake about 50 minutes or until heated through and noodles are tender when pierced with a fork. Let stand, covered, 20 minutes before serving. Serves 12
