Monday, November 5, 2007

It's for the dogs...and women who love pie!

OK, let me explain the title of this posting. First of all, this is a pie I had at my grandma's house and immediately got the recipe. I think it is from a restaurant in Missouri. I've made the pie so many times I hardly need the recipe and this week was no exception. I baked 4 of these babies...all for wonderful women in my life! The first two I brought to work for my lovely co-worker Connie and our grocery shopper Mary. They have been a great support to me during a rough start of this school year and I wanted to treat them to something sweet and homemade on Halloween.
The second two pies were for my girlfriend Joanna's 30th birthday, a girls night. We accidentally indulged in them before dinner--that's the fun thing about girls nights! One thing I love about this pie is that it is super quick--seriously 10 mn. prep and pop it in the oven! The flavors are a crowd pleaser too, and I like that it's not an ordinary flavor of pie. It may seem odd that it's cold outside now and I'm making an "island" pie--that is so me to not give a hoot! Or is it me trying to woo back warmth and feel all tropical again? As you can see from the ingredient list this isn't exactly light--that's why I give them away, yet I made sure I got a small portion somehow! Aren't I sneaky? :-)
So today, Mary (recipient of pie #2), came with my grocery delivery at work and told me that her family all really enjoyed a slice each and then they wrapped it up for later. While they were out for Halloween, her dog Chi Chi got what was left of the pie and ate it all! They came home to a guilt ridden terrier. I thought this was a lovely compliment to me, as I then heard that Chi Chi has NEVER done this before. Thanks Chi Chi!

Elsah Landing Pineapple Coconut Pie














Ingredients:
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple
1 cup flaked coconut
1 (9-inch) pie shell, unbaked (see recipe)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine beaten eggs, sugar, salt, flour, melted butter, pineapple and coconut. Mix until well-combined. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.

Lower temperature to 300 degrees F; bake for 20 to 30 minutes more or until center seems set and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.