Sunday, May 11, 2008

The week in review

This week flew by--I've been training in the evenings at my new serving job and loving it. Restaurants are so fun to be at. The people, the business, the food, the cash, the short term relationships, gotta love it. It feels right.


Nothing fancy here, just a grilled meal I made myself this past week. A top sirloin from the local meat store, and a large slice of fresh pineapple, grilled and then topped with a tablespoon of brown sugar and a heap of coconut. I think I could put coconut on anything and love it. This summer I plan on grilling a lot of fruits to bring out their sweetness.

And here is a cookie recipe I made my co-workers. Walk down a hallway of teachers at the end of the day with a platter of cookies and you are very well received!


Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 10 ounces)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.

Combine sugars and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add vanilla and egg whites; beat 1 minute. Add flour mixture and chips; beat until blended.

Drop dough by level tablespoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on pans for 2 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.

Yield: 4 dozen (serving size: 1 cookie)
CALORIES 88; FAT 3g; FIBER 0.2g;

Cooking Light, JUNE 2007