Yep--that is the line my grandpa Allan gave me about eating carrots. I wonder if the whole "night vision" benefit wasn't persuasive enough for me, so he felt he'd entice me with that? Well... it makes for a fun memory of him now. I hear a warm-up is here for us today (AMEN) and I want you to know that I am not trying to reel winter back in by cooking soup. It's perfect anytime of year in my book. Speaking of books, I just bought The Soup Bible for one of my co-workers who has been on the look out for it ever since I blogged recipes from it--I can't wait to hear which recipes she tries. Lately, I like to find healthy soups that fill me up. Kyle and I are both feeling the need to eat super well with a warm vacation on the horizon so the nutritional info on this recipe was extra appealing. I picked up a whole grain baguette from Panera to have with this Eating Well soup. If you like curry then I bet you'd enjoy it.
Curried Carrot & Apple Soup
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 tablespoon curry powder
5 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced (3 cups)
2 large McIntosh or other apples, peeled and coarsely chopped (3 cups)
1 bay leaf
4 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt for garnish (optional)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, dill or basil for garnish (optional)
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan or medium soup pot over medium heat. Stir in onion and celery; cook until the onion is softened and translucent, 8 to 12 minutes; do not brown.
2. Stir in curry powder, then add carrots, apples and bay leaf. Stir well over medium heat for 2 minutes, then add broth and salt. Bring the mixture to a low boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover tightly and simmer until the carrots and apples are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Remove the bay leaf. Using a large slotted spoon, transfer the soup solids to a food processor, adding about 1/2 cup of the broth; process to a smooth puree. Pour the puree back into the soup. Reheat and season with pepper. Serve piping hot, garnishing each serving, if you like, with a dab of yogurt and a sprinkle of fresh herbs.
Makes 8 servings, generous 3/4 cup each
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 90 calories; 3 g total fat; 2 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrate; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber
From Eating Well Magazine Fall 2002
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
"It'll put hair on your chest?"
Labels: soup
