Sunday, March 9, 2008

Chambers Kitchen: Worth the Trip Across the River

As mentioned months ago, Kyle, Sabrina and I had a pool for America's Next Top Model--maybe all that calculating is the reason I'm not watching this season. Well I won, but we decided no matter who won, we would all go out for dinner at the critically acclaimed Chambers Kitchen in Minneapolis to celebrate. Last night we claimed our prize! It was fun to swank it up for a night--so much fun we've promised to start a tradition and try a new posh hot spot once a year. Here is the fabulous fare I had, while I forgot about eating light and opted for lavish!

Cucumber Mint Martini

Crispy Pikitoe Crab with Glass Noodles, Peanuts, and Sweet Chili Glaze

Tempura Salt and Pepper Walleye with Jalapenos and Basil

Tahitian Vanilla Creme Brulee with Spiced Papaya Marmalade and Pineapple Sorbet


Everything was top notch--beautifully presented with flavors matched to perfection. We were trying to imagine if we were food writers what could we complain about? It was a struggle, but we decided on the asymmetrical dishes that slope off on one side. It became quite the joke that our food was going to run into the mighty Mississippi if we weren't careful with it. Kyle and Sabrina both enjoyed the duck and incredible desserts of their own. After dinner we went and peeked at the courtyard bar made of ice, complete with a modern fire pit in front of it. It was freezing, but definitely novel. I'd prefer to go in the summer and check out the rooftop bar that looks out at the Minneapolis skyline, as pictured above on the top left.