Monday, February 25, 2008

PB&J... morphed

This recipe makes you feel like a kid again. That winning flavor combo and the whole "surprise" of jelly in the middle--how can you go wrong? Honestly anything with peanut butter gets my attention. I get that from my dad I think. One of my favorite snacks is a dill pickle dipped in peanut butter. Don't knock it until you vlach it! I found that these muffins are enjoyed best slightly warm. Next time I make these I would also add a tablespoon or 2 more of peanut butter for a stronger flavor. Moms out there--start mix'n!
*Recipe Note: Don't use natural peanut butter.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins


















Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (about 3 1/2 ounces)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups fat-free milk
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup egg substitute
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cooking spray
1/4 cup strawberry jam


Preparation
Preheat oven to 400°.
Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, sugars, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine milk and next 4 ingredients (through vanilla); add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.

Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Fill each cup half full with batter. Spoon 1 teaspoon jam into each cup. Spoon remaining batter on top to cover jam. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Let cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool on a wire rack.

Yield: 1 dozen (serving size: 1 muffin)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 185; FAT 5.8g; PROTEIN 5.2g; CHOLESTEROL 5.6mg; CALCIUM 113mg; SODIUM 288mg; FIBER 1.6g

Mark Scarbrough, Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2007