Thursday, September 11, 2008

I picked a purple pepper

I walked down to the farmer's market today at noon and snagged this purple pepper and eggplant. How cool is that color? Then I went back to work and dreamt about what to do with the two items that would not require me to make a pit-stop in the way home, as Blanche's forever family was coming over to take her home and I wanted to cook and eat first.



I had planned on making Chicken with Green Olives and Prunes and so I decided a nice sidekick for it would be brown rice cooked in chicken stock, with these vegetables(grilled and then cut), feta, finshed off with lots of fresh mint and basil.

This meal got the "Oh Kelly, You've out done yourself this time!" from my husbandito. Now because he is so complimentary I take it for granted sometimes but my tastebuds could not lie. I did. What I did NOT DO was dream up the recipe and create an original wonderment of flavors. What I am pretty darn good at is picking out recipes that I know we'll enjoy. Which is why I don't blog a recipe and write how it tasted like shiz. Or if it was mega unhealthy it would make me feel like shiz.

This chicken dish seemed too easy to be this dang good (is that a cheesey country song title?). Rich, sweet/salty, juicy...sounds almost downright racy! Race on chicken thighs...

Chicken with Green Olives & Prunes



Ingredients

1 ¼ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
¼ cup red-wine vinegar
¼ cup chopped pitted green olives, such as Spanish, Cerignola or cracked green
¼ cup chopped pitted prunes (dried plums)
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Instructions

Pat chicken dry with a paper towel. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Add broth and vinegar to the pan; bring to a simmer, stirring. Add olives, prunes and pepper; reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until the chicken is tender and no longer pink in the center, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Spoon sauce over the chicken and serve.

Makes 4 servings

Nutrition Information Per serving: 224 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 118 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrate; 29 g protein; 1 g fiber; 339 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.

EatingWell