Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Summer Salads

As requested, here is my very favorite cole slaw recipe. I've been making this one for a few years and love it more every time. No creamy dressing involved--just fresh flavors! I know I've said this before but I'll say it again--buy fresh cabbage to cut yourself if you want good cole slaw. The bagged stuff is easy, but not nearly as flavorful. And for those of you at my grill-out who wanted the corn salad recipe--click here.

Peanutty Cabbage-Apple Slaw with Raisins













A small amount of roasted peanut oil gives this slaw a big hit of flavor with a minimum of fat. Any nut oil will work.

Ingredients
1/3 cup white balsamic or cider vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons roasted peanut oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 cups coarsely chopped Granny Smith apple
1/2 cup golden seedless raisins
1 (16-ounce) package cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw

Preparation
Combine first 5 ingredients, stirring with a whisk until sugar dissolves.
Combine apple, raisins, and coleslaw. Drizzle with vinaigrette; toss well to combine. Chill for up to 3 hours.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)

Nutritional Information: CALORIES 128(20% from fat); FAT 2.9g; FIBER 3.1g

Krista Ackerbloom Montgomery & Ann Taylor Pittman , Cooking Light, MARCH 2005