My first recipe from Clean Eating and I am in love. This dish reminds me so much of the dinner I had on my birthday at Azia, only with chicken instead of scallops. It is super simple--just throw everything in the pot. I added 2 ingredients to this recipe when I made it tonight: 1/3 cup coconut milk and 2 tablespoons red curry paste. I also served it with jasmine rice (my favorite rice, found in the Thai section of the grocery store). I would consider it to be medium spicy and also sweet with great textures of fruit, meat and crunchy cashews.
Fruity Curried Chicken
Ingredients:
olive oil cooking spray
1 apple, diced
1 pear, diced
1 small onion, diced
1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped
2 T fresh gingerroot, chopped
1/8 cup unsalted cashews
2 t curry powder
1 t cumin
1/4 t coarse sea salt
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1,2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
parsley (optional)
Instructions:
Spritz a large pot with cooking spray over medium heat. Add fruit (except cranberries), onion, jalapeno pepper ginger, cashews, curry, cumin, and salt. Cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add broth and cranberries and mix well. Add chicken and spoon some of mixture over top. Cover pot and reduce to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside. Turn chicken once halfway through cooking. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Nutrients per serving (serves 3): 226 calories, 5g total fat, 28g carbs, 6 g fiber, 19g protein
Clean Eating Spring 2008
